Founder of Apple-acquired company raised $2.7m. TRVL is turning people into travel agents the way Airbnb is turning people into hosts and Uber is turning people into drivers
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS, June 01, 2017 /24-7PressRelease/ — TRVL is the brainchild of Jochem Wijnands, who sold his previous company Prss to Apple in 2014, where it became Apple News. TRVL has been in beta testing over the last year and has opened to the public in May. For the first time, anyone can act as an amateur travel agent and earn a commission of up to 10% on every booking, for themselves or for others.
Wijnands: “Today, when you’re researching and planning a trip for yourself or the people you travel with, you’re essentially doing the work of a travel agent. But you don’t get rewarded for it.”
Wijnands: “TRVL is tapping into the unmatched experience and passion of thousands of travelers worldwide. By open sourcing travel we’re introducing a service level to online travel bookings that is missing today.”
Wijnands: “Think of TRVL as TripAdvisor with an earning model, where you can get travel advice, on demand. We believe TRVL will change the way millions of people will book their trips online.”
TRVL’s COO is Arthur Hoffman, an industry veteran who set up businesses for Expedia in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and India.
TRVL raised a total of 2.5 million euro (2.7 million dollar) from the angel investors that funded Prss before it was acquired by Apple. The money is used to develop the product, to build the core team and deliver proof of concept. TRVL is headquartered in Amsterdam and employs 12 people.
POWER TO THE TRAVELER
TRVL’s mission is to make travel better by empowering travelers
HOW IT WORKS
Signing up as a TRVL Agent is free, and it only takes seconds. TRVL Agents can:
- Book trips for themselves and the people they’re traveling with
- Recommend, and share trips with others
- Run their own customizable travel booking website
- Check Out the Iridium-2 Launch Webcast - June 25, 2017
- Solar Eclipse Across America: Science, Yes, and So Much More! - June 24, 2017
- Playster Partners With Nelvana To Add Popular Kids’ TV Shows To Its Catalog - June 21, 2017
- Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow Is Launching On June 29; Reveals New Animation Featuring Stephen Hawking, George Takei, Bill Nye, And Neil Degrasse Tyson - June 20, 2017
- Young Jamaican Actor Breaks Barriers, Opens Yacht Charter Company – Creates History - June 19, 2017
- E3 2017 WRAPS AFTER RECORD ATTENDANCE - June 17, 2017
- FLIGHT OF BOEING 787-10 AND 737-MAX 9 IN DRAMATIC DISPLAY - June 17, 2017
- ON THE HUNT FOR PORCH PIRATES - June 12, 2017
- Are UFOs Real? Ask Me, Please! - June 12, 2017
- Six Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent - June 7, 2017