According to a report from NASA’s Earth Observatory…
At the end of April 2017, just 6 percent of the United States was afflicted by drought, the lowest level in 17 years of analysis by the U.S. Drought Monitor. That’s a substantial turnaround from a few years ago, when long and short term droughts spread across much of the nation.
The news marks a downward trend from mid-2011, when many areas of the country began to experience drier-than-average weather. That summer, a headline in the U.S. Drought Monitor read: “‘Exceptional drought’ record for United States set in July.” By July 12, almost 12 percent of the contiguous United States was in an “exceptional” drought—including states as far flung as Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Florida.
“Two parts of the country that have composed a big portion of [its] drought area in the last decade, Texas and California, now have mostly normal conditions,” said Matthew Rodell, a hydrologist at NASA. “Texas’s drought broke in 2015, and California’s drought was alleviated by atmospheric rivers that brought heavy rains earlier this year. Combine that with recent precipitation across much of the northwestern and central parts of the nation, and the result is a much-wetter-than-normal map.”
Conditions have since taken a 180-degree turn. Several seasons of heavy rains in the south and southeast increased soil moisture—but also caused flooding in some instances. States that were scorched by wildfires in 2016—parts of the Carolinas, Tennessee and Virginia—have been saturated with recent downpours. California, which endured a record-setting drought for several years, has soaked up the moisture in the past nine months. On April 7, 2017, Governor Jerry Brown lifted the state of emergency in most areas.
While plentiful rain signals an end to some record-breaking dry spells, multiple years of unusually hot, dry weather have left lasting damage, killing millions of trees and slowing down crop production.
- It’s Time For the Delta Aquarids 2017 - July 26, 2017
- Stephen Hawking and David Attenborough Films Nab Multiple Emmy® Nominations for Documentary Streaming Service CuriosityStream - July 26, 2017
- Star Trek: Discovery – Official Trailer - July 23, 2017
- THE BLUE MAN (a.k.a. ETERNAL EVIL) AT THE FANTASIA FILM FESTIVAL - July 21, 2017
- Mattel Launches New Franchise Enchantimals™ - July 21, 2017
- NBA All-Star Kevin Durant makes surprise appearance at Austin’s IDEA Rundberg as part of BBVA Compass’ Summer of Opportunity - July 20, 2017
- Mattel And WWE® Launch Girls Product Line - July 20, 2017
- Vampire Comedy Web Series Filming on Long Island - July 20, 2017
- AARP and Ad Council Launch New PSA Campaign to Empower Millions of Americans to Get on Track for Retirement - July 19, 2017
- 76 percent of U.S. workers do not fear automation, according to Randstad US - July 18, 2017