Phoenix Comicon has just issued a press release, an update regarding the Thursday incident.
Thursday night, Phoenix Comicon, in conjunction with Phoenix Convention Center staff and the Phoenix Police Department issued policy changes for Phoenix Comicon, including a prop weapon ban, security line bag checks, and new protocols for vendor sales of weapons and prop weapons on-site.
Lee Palmer, Director of Operations, and his team informed all vendors of the new procedures, which include the mandate that all weapons be securely wrapped by the vendors prior to sale. The team also held a mandatory meeting for all applicable vendors on site on Friday morning to assist with the transition. UltraSabers did not send a representative to this mandatory meeting.
On Friday, UltraSabers refused to comply with procedures, in violation of their contract. Despite the new protocols for weapon sales inside Phoenix Comicon, UltraSabers continued selling unwrapped weapons throughout the day on Friday after multiple requests from Convention Center staff, Phoenix Police Department, and Phoenix Comicon Staff.
On Friday night, Phoenix Comicon staff approached UltraSabers regarding their refusal to comply. UltraSabers representatives became combative with Phoenix Comicon staff and with Phoenix Police Department officers. Subsequently, they were asked to remove their exhibits and exit the building. UltraSabers was issued a full refund of the cost of their exhibit space and a check was issued to them onsite before they left.
This morning, representatives of UltraSabers managed to secure badges to enter the premises and distribute propaganda flyers claiming compliance with our procedures and accusing Phoenix Comicon of refusing to grant a refund. At this time, no decision has been made regarding UltraSabers’s eventual return to Phoenix Comicon or other Square Egg Entertainment events.
We appreciate the patience and understanding of all our exhibitors in complying with these new policies to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all our attendees. For additional information, please contact Kristin Rowan, Director of Marketing, Sales, and Public Relations.
- Check Out the Iridium-2 Launch Webcast - June 25, 2017
- Solar Eclipse Across America: Science, Yes, and So Much More! - June 24, 2017
- Playster Partners With Nelvana To Add Popular Kids’ TV Shows To Its Catalog - June 21, 2017
- Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow Is Launching On June 29; Reveals New Animation Featuring Stephen Hawking, George Takei, Bill Nye, And Neil Degrasse Tyson - June 20, 2017
- Young Jamaican Actor Breaks Barriers, Opens Yacht Charter Company – Creates History - June 19, 2017
- E3 2017 WRAPS AFTER RECORD ATTENDANCE - June 17, 2017
- FLIGHT OF BOEING 787-10 AND 737-MAX 9 IN DRAMATIC DISPLAY - June 17, 2017
- ON THE HUNT FOR PORCH PIRATES - June 12, 2017
- Are UFOs Real? Ask Me, Please! - June 12, 2017
- Six Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent - June 7, 2017