DETROIT, Sept. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Red Bull Radio announces a new weekly celebration of Detroit’s diverse local music scene, starting October 1. Throughout the last decade, Red Bull has held a presence in The Motor City by recording in-studio from Detroit, celebrating the city’s iconic electronic music festival, Movement, and broadcasting live from a custom-built downtown studio two years ago. Now, Red Bull Radio is further investing in the city’s music scene by bringing the best of The Motor City to listeners around the globe, with programming that features the brightest up-and-coming local artists alongside hometown heroes who helped shape the sounds of Detroit.
As the birthplace of Motown, soul and techno, Detroit has produced legends such as Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Juan Atkins, Alice Cooper, Madonna, and Eminem; needless to say, the sounds of Detroit have influenced music on a global scale. Inspired by the city’s captivating and deep music history, Red Bull Radio is committed to shining a light on Detroit’s raw, authentic talent and unique sound with the world every week.
“Known for its infamous sounds of Motown, jazz, gospel and techno, Detroit’s atmosphere is so ripe with ingenuity that one can almost feel the creativity in the air,” said John ‘Jammin’ Collins, world-renowned DJ and superlative record producer of Detroit. He continued, “The Motor City has produced some of the world’s most brilliant singers, musicians, producers and DJs, all of whom have brought international acclaim, awareness and respect to a city that has struggled, maintains and continues to prosper. Red Bull Radio is committed to continuing this tradition of exposing more of Detroit’screative community by introducing new and fresh shows with a diverse lineup of DJs/producers as hosts.”
Red Bull Radio’s dedicated Detroit programming includes:
- DJ Holographic presents Stardust
- 1st Sunday of each month from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
- DJ Holographic is a tireless champion of Detroit’s underground community and its musical past, present and future, while cultivating a devoted fanbase with her distinctive voice and single-minded dedication to the craft. On her monthly show, DJ Holographic ties tracks together in ways you’d never expect.
- Andrés presents New For U
- 1st Sunday of each month from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
- Andrés is one of the most versatile dance music figures in Detroit, counting credentials with Theo Parrish, Moodymann, J Dilla and more – along with his own exceptional releases. Every month, Andrés spins a mesmerizing all-vinyl selection. You might know the record,
but you’ve never heard it like this before.
- House of Minx w/ DJ Minx
- 2nd Sunday of each month from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
- The “First Lady of Wax” founded the all-female DJ collective Women On Wax in 1996, extending the name to her own label in 2001, creating an outlet for her own productions and those by unsung local talent. For her monthly show, the house music veteran heats up the airwaves with her lush grooves and positive vibes.
- John “Jammin'” Collins presents the Soul of Detroit
- 2nd Sunday of each month from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
- John “Jammin'” Collins has anchored Detroit’s electronic music scene for three decades. A locally and world-renowned DJ and superlative record producer, Collins conducts tours of Exhibit 3000, the only techno museum in the country. Each month John Collins takes listeners on a journey from house and techno to R&B and disco, spinning vinyl from his collection during the first hour and getting into a heated mix for the second.
- Shigeto & Charles Trees present Portage Garage Sundays
- 3rd Sunday of each month from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
- Shigeto’s sound folds in hip-hop, IDM, and elegant techno. He recently launched Detroit-based label and studio, Portage Garage Sounds. Charles Trees’ sound includes hip-hop production, far-out jazz, and techno. For the first hour of their monthly show, old friends Shigeto and Trees trace the lineage from old to new Michigan artists, and in the second, they anchor a back-to-back DJ set with members of the PGS family.
- Generations with Stacey “Hotwaxx” Hale
- 3rd Sunday of each month from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
- Godmother of House Music and Detroit’s first female DJ of the genre, Stacey “Hotwaxx” Hale is the assistant musical director of Black Women Rock, teaches after-school programs at Girls Rock Detroit and performs with the band Nyumba Muziki. On her monthly radio show, she presents up-and-coming and established Detroit musicians, artists, and influencers in conversation.
- The K-HAND Music Show w/ Kelli Hand
- 4th Sunday of each month from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
- Expertly versed in both Detroit techno and New York and Chicago house music, K-HAND has been unleashing dancefloor weapons for nearly three decades. On her monthly show, K-HAND presents music from a well- known place to an unknown destination, from techno to deep house to experimental.
- DM Nation with Black Noi$e and SKYWLKR
- 4th Sunday of each month from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
- Michigan production cohorts Black Noi$e and SKYWLKR are behind some of your favorite trippy Midwest rap beats for Danny Brown, Zelooperz, Cashout Ant, Lucki, and more. For their monthly two-hour Red Bull Radio show, they keep it simple: rap bangers only, of the gritty underground and forgotten classic variety.
ABOUT RED BULL RADIO
Since its first broadcast in 2005, Red Bull Radio has grown into a leading destination for music discovery, offering an unrivaled selection of in-depth interviews with the great musical thinkers of our time, exclusive mixes, documentaries, broadcasts from clubs and festivals and daily reports from the most exciting music scenes around the world. Red Bull Radio is a 24-hour linear broadcasting service that brings local music scenes to a global audience, with programming from 40 countries and shows hosted by a globe-spanning network of music journalists, artists and collectives, including the likes of Earl Sweatshirt, Tune-Yards, Dam-Funk, Chelsea Wolfe, The Gaslamp Killer, Gerd Janson, Stephen O’Malley, Nina Las Vegas, Mixpak, Teklife and many more.