TruGreen Compiles First Annual List of American Cities Most Bothered by Bugs; Survey Finds Americans in the Northeast are More Worried Than Those In Other Regions About Ticks Ruining Their Time Outside This Summer
MEMPHIS, Tenn., June 30, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Americans in some cities may not be the only ones enjoying a bite during their backyard barbecues this summer. TruGreen, the nation’s leading professional lawn care company helping people live life outside, today announced the results of its first annual list of the 10 U.S. cities most bothered by bugs.
According to customer data compiled by TruGreen, these cities are worried the most about mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, ants and other creepy, crawly and sometimes dangerous pests interrupting their time outside. As temperatures rise, more insects come out to play, and a recent survey conducted online by Harris Poll for TruGreen in June 2017 found that 60 percent of Americans in the Northeast are worried about ticks ruining their time outside this summer, compared to 48 percent in the Midwest, 35 percent in the South, and 32 percent in the West.
If you’re a bug-loving entomophile, you may find few people who share your passion for pests in these cities, but if you suffer from entomophobia, a fear of insects, you may be in good company in:
- Hartford, Connecticut
- Columbus, Ohio
- Rochester, New York
- Providence, Rhode Island
- Buffalo, New York
The last week in June is National Mosquito Control Awareness Week, and mosquitoes are by far one of the most bothersome bugs of summer. In fact, 65 percent of Americans use bug spray on themselves/their family to combat mosquitoes outdoors at home, but although it’s the top
response for preventative measures, only half (51 percent) say it is most effective at preventing mosquitoes from biting outdoors at home, according to another Harris Poll survey conducted online for TruGreen in March 2017.
“Nobody likes to be bothered by bugs, but they can be more than just annoying. Insects like ticks and mosquitoes can transmit diseases and cause allergic reactions in both people and pets,” said John Bell, board certified entomologist and TruGreen regional technical manager. “Having a yard that’s free of annoying insects and pests is one of the best ways to live life outside, and TruGreen is committed to helping Americans enjoy life outside without having to worry about biting insects. Our new Mosquito Defense service targets pests where they live and comes with our Mosquito Free Guarantee which states TruGreen will perform a free re-service any time a customer sees biting mosquitoes in their yard between treatments.*”
If you live in one of these cities, or somewhere else where you want to banish bugs, here are some tips for minimizing pests in your yard:
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs near water, so remove standing water that accumulates in things like buckets and birdbaths.
- Ticks love tall grasses and brush, so keep your grass cut.
- Invite animals who eat bugs to your yard to move in and feast by placing bat and birdhouses in your yard.
- Fleas thrive in moist places, so be careful not to over water your lawn and landscape.
- Take the necessary precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and consider hiring a professional lawn care company to address your pest concerns.
For more information on how to win the battle with bugs, visit www.trugreen.com.
The list of cities most bothered by bugs was developed by TruGreen based on an analysis of customer data from May 1, 2017 to May 31, 2017.
The surveys were conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of TruGreen from March 17-21, 2017, among 2,173 U.S. adults ages 18 and older, and from June 23-27, 2017 among 2,031 adults ages 18 and older. These online surveys are not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Residential Mosquito Free Guarantee Disclosure: Guarantee applies to full plan customers only.
Memphis, Tenn.-based TruGreen is the nation’s largest lawn care company, serving more than 2.3 million residential and commercial customers across the United States with lawn, tree and shrub care. TruGreen believes more life should be lived outside and is committed to providing a beautiful lawn to serve as the foundation for outside experiences and lifelong memories. As the leader in the professional lawn care industry, TruGreen helps define responsible lawn care practices, conducts industry-leading education and training for our people, pioneers new application technologies and educates our customers on proper mowing and wise-use watering techniques. Today, there are approximately 260 TruGreen lawn care branches in the United States and Canada, plus about 35 franchise locations. Go to http://www.TruGreen.com or http://www.facebook.com/TruGreen for more information about TruGreen.
CONTACT: Amy Simpson, TruGreen, 901-251-4007, email@example.com; Jennifer Asaro, MSLGROUP, 781-684-0770, firstname.lastname@example.org
- These U.S. Cities Will Be Buzzing This Summer - June 30, 2017
- Fla. Supreme Court Rules Medical Malpractice Caps Unconstitutional - June 9, 2017
- All-New 10th Generation Honda Accord Launching This Year with Advanced New Powertrain Lineup - June 9, 2017
- Cybersleuth Investigations, Inc. Helps Victims of Sextortion Find Resolution - June 8, 2017
- Belkin Thunderbolt™ 3 Express Dock HD Available Today - June 6, 2017
- Microsoft highlights ecosystem growth and innovation at Computex 2017 with Windows 10 devices - May 31, 2017
- Subaru Of America® Announces Pricing On 2018 Forester Models And Debuts Black Edition Package - May 29, 2017
- Are You Protected? Vorsite is Offering Cyber Security Services for Office 365 - May 24, 2017
- The Helicopter Has Landed: How Once Hover-Prone Parents and Their Back-at-Home Adult Children Should Cope with Career Challenges - May 23, 2017
- LG Washes Away The Hassle Of Doing Laundry With LG TWINWash Memorial Day Promotion - May 18, 2017