WASHINGTON – Amtrak has upgraded its technology, fleet, stations and processes to make travel as seamless and safe as possible, which includes requiring all of our employees to be vaccinated. We have made upgrades to the Amtrak app, where customers can book, get boarding information, and check train status from a mobile device and receive real-time information before boarding. We’ve also focused on making the experience touch free, including contactless boarding, scanning tickets directly from the Amtrak app and the installation of new Amtrak kiosks throughout the country.
We’ve been working diligently to enhance our safety protocols, including partnering with Lysol to reinforce disinfection protocols, utilizing EPA-registered cleaning products and enhancing cleaning on commonly used surfaces. Customers can travel with extra confidence knowing all our trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes. And since we believe the vaccine offers the best way to keep our employees and customers safe, Amtrak has mandated that its employees vaccinated.
We’ve made and continue to make incredible investments so that we come out of the pandemic as a new and improved Amtrak. By combining our safety efforts with the guidance of our medical director and partnership with George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, we want our customers to have a renewed sense of confidence.
- Face coverings: Please be advised Federal law requires all customers and employees to wear a mask at all times while onboard trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law, denied boarding, removed from the train and banned from future travel in the event of noncompliance.
- Private rooms: Offered on many routes, private rooms offer the perfect option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight.
- Real-time seat availability: Amtrak is no longer limiting capacity. When searching for travel, the percentage of seats sold displays next to each trip option and adjusts as more reservations are made, which gives customers the opportunity to book a train that is less crowded. If capacity exceeds comfort levels, customers can change their ticket without incurring a fee (a fare difference may apply).
- Fee waivers: Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by September 6, 2021. The removal of some restrictions on Multi-Ride tickets on the Northeast Corridor is extended through September 6, 2021.
- Amtrak app: The Amtrak app makes contact-free travel easy. Customers can book, board, check train status and access information from the convenience and safety of a mobile device. Amtrak encourages boarding with eTickets, which conductors scan from the Amtrak app.
- Seamless gate service: To reduce crowds at departure boards, Amtrak app users automatically receive boarding gate and track information via push notification at select stations.
- Your Amtrak Guest Rewards Points: To allow you more time to use your points and to keep your account active, we are continuing to pause the expiration of points through June 30, 2021. If you are an Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard® cardholder, your points will not expire as long as your account is open. Learn more about the important Amtrak Guest Rewards updates we have made in response to COVID-19.
- Follow Guidance on Safe Travel: Do not travel when you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or when you meet public health criteria for quarantine. Before traveling on Amtrak, review state-specific travel advisories and restrictions that may be in place for travel to your destination.
Amtrak continues to evaluate current practices and launch new initiatives to support personal safety, which includes mandating our employees to be vaccinated. For more information, follow Amtrak on social media, sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards.
Thanks for the last 50 years. As people feel comfortable traveling again, we are honored that you trust us on your journey. We are excited to welcome you back onboard.
Rod Washington Writer, filmmaker, model railroader, dreamer, posting videos and articles about trains. Also, posting railfanning videos and updates about his own model railroad layout via his webpage, the rail project (coming soon).