HAMPTON, N.H., Feb. 5, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — This Valentine’s Day, Planet Fitness, Inc., one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the U.S., uncovered a definitive answer to that age-old question about love, attraction and everything in between – are we all about the looks? A national study* commissioned by Planet Fitness found that people’s perspectives on love actually go far beyond “skin-deep,” with more than nine in ten (92 percent) preferring a partner with a great personality over a great body.
And what about prioritizing what we look for most in a partner? The study’s findings also showed that 81 percent seek a man or woman with a good personality, followed closely by sense of humor (76 percent), positive attitude (73 percent) and open-mindedness (62 percent); coincidentally, many also hope that prospective mates value those exact same qualities in the exact same order when roles are reversed. And while social media continues to play a major role in all of our lives, one-in-three are open to meeting that special someone at the gym (30 percent) rather than online (29 percent), at a bar (26 percent) or through a dating app (25 percent).
“As home of the Judgement Free Zone®, we’re thrilled that our survey results found people don’t just focus on physical attributes in potential partners,” said Jessica Correa, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Planet Fitness. “In today’s environment, it’s nice to see people valuing kindness as a desirable quality in others, with over half of all respondents noting that their perfect mate doesn’t judge others. We agree, which is why Planet Fitness makes the perfect partner this month – and every month – because we don’t judge 100 percent of our members, 100 percent of time.”
Additional survey insights, ranging from what people value in a partner to where they hope to meet that special someone include:
- Boy- (or Girl)friend Bucket List. The qualities that matter most to people in a significant other include how supportive they are (80 percent), how happy they are (77 percent), that they love unconditionally (75 percent) or whether they encourage their partner to be their best self (70 percent). Men and women universally agree that a good personality is the number one factor they are looking for in a significant other (82 percent among men and 80 percent among women).
- Good to Be Judgement Free. 70 percent of individuals are looking for a significant other that would never judge their appearance.
- Social Hot Spots. 57 percent say they would be open to meeting someone at a coffee shop, followed by a party (48 percent), work (42 percent) or the gym (30 percent). Among the millennial age group, more than one-third (39 percent) are open to meeting someone at the gym.
- Ring or No Ring, We All Want the Same. Couples and singles both agree on what attributes matter most to them in choosing (or staying with) a partner, showing that compassion and zest for life are universally attractive qualities, no matter if a ring has been put on it or not. Around 80 percent want their significant other to be supportive or happy with themselves.
- Not All About the Body. Only 11 percent of respondents say their body is what they hope others find most attractive about them.
- Generational Gap. Significantly more boomers (44 percent; ages 54 – 72) than millennials (34 percent; ages 20 – 37) hope that their own accepting, non-judgmental attitudes are something others notice about them.
Starting today, Planet Fitness has a limited time offer available for new members to join for just $5down (enrollment fee), then $10 a month with no commitment. The promotion runs through Feb. 15 at any of its more than 1,400 clubs through the United States and Canada. Click here to find a Planet Fitness near you.
Planet Fitness offers extremely low prices and a variety of benefits, including a hassle-free environment, brand name cardio and strength equipment, fully equipped locker rooms, flat screen televisions and much more. The Planet Fitness Black Card®** membership for $21.99 a month includes additional perks such as access to any club at no additional charge, ability to bring a guest anytime, and additional amenities like unlimited use of massage chairs, HydroMassage beds, and more.
Planet Fitness also provides members with an opportunity to connect and support each other with “Planet of Triumphs,” an online community that celebrates all accomplishments and inspirational stories of Planet Fitness members. Planet of Triumphs provides an online platform for members to recognize their triumphs (big or small), share their stories and encourage others, reinforcing the Company’s belief that ‘everyone belongs’. Check out real Planet Fitness member stories and accomplishments at PlanetofTriumphs.com.
For more information on Planet Fitness and to find a club near you visit www.PlanetFitness.com.
* Online survey conducted by Kelton Global to 1,005 nationally representative Americans ages 18 and over, with a margin of error of +/- 3.1 percent.
**Black Card membership fees and amenities may vary by location.
About Planet Fitness
Founded in 1992 in Dover, N.H., Planet Fitness is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. As of September 30, 2017, Planet Fitness had approximately 10.5 million members and 1,432 stores in 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada and the Dominican Republic. The Company’s mission is to enhance people’s lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®. More than 95 percent of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.
SOURCE Planet Fitness, Inc.
Joshua, a native Phoenician, lives in the west Valley with his wife and two sons. He has a BA in Management and 24 years of experience in Information Technology. He’s passionate in his career of combining healthcare and IT to help doctors provide the best possible healthcare to their patients. Joshua also has multiple publications for IT education, which are used in universities around the world. He is a true Arizona liberal, supporting both human rights, equality for all.