Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is providing an update on additional steps it has taken that will lead to more infant formula available in the U.S. under the agency’s recent increased flexibilities.
Company (Product Origin): Nestlé (Germany)
Product(s): Nestlé NAN Expert Pro Sensi Pro
Type of Formula: General
Estimated Quantity: 28,200 cans (about 50,000 pounds or about 745,000 full-size, 8-ounce bottles)
Availability: June – the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is evaluating options for getting the products to the U.S. as quickly as possible.
More Information and Where to Find the Products: Expected to be sold online at Gerber.com
The FDA is exercising enforcement discretion for the importation of the infant formula products listed above following the review of information provided pertaining to nutritional adequacy and safety, including microbiological testing, labeling, and additional information about facility production and inspection history.
The agency is leveraging a number of flexibilities to bolster the supply of products that serve as the sole source of nutrition for many infants while ensuring the infant formula can be used safely and provides adequate nutrition. The FDA remains in further discussions with manufacturers and suppliers regarding additional supply to ensure there’s adequate infant formula available wherever and whenever parents and caregivers need it.
The FDA issued guidance on May 16 that outlined a process by which the agency would not object to the importation of certain infant formula products intended for a foreign market or distribution in the U.S. of products manufactured here for export to foreign countries. This guidance also may provide flexibilities to those who manufacture infant formula products domestically and may be able to increase further the quantity of domestically produced product for the U.S. market. The agency has posted a webpage that will be updated with information about additional products headed to the U.S.
Ongoing FDA Steps to Increase Availability of Safe, Nutritious Infant Formula
The agency’s around-the-clock work as part of the all-of-government efforts has already begun to improve supply and availability. The agency expects that the measures and steps it is taking, and the resumption of production at the Abbott Nutrition’s Sturgis, Mich., facility, will mean more and more supply is on the way or on store shelves moving forward.
The FDA continues to advise against making infant formulas at home or diluting formula. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to work with their child’s health care provider for recommendations on changing feeding practices, if needed. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services also has additional information available at HHS.gov/formula, including information to help families find infant formula.
The agency also monitors online marketplaces for fraudulent products and works with major online retailers to remove violative and harmful products offered for sale on their sites. Additionally, since many of these fraudulent products originate overseas, the agency targets and examines these products at ports of entry. The FDA also monitors and follows up on various external signals such as consumer complaints about potential counterfeit and fraudulent products.
The FDA will continue to dedicate all available resources to help ensure that safe and nutritious infant formula products remain available for use in the U.S. and will keep the public informed of progress updates.
FDA Infant Formula Update: June 9, 2022
- Infant Formula Information and Ongoing FDA Efforts to Increase Supply
- Enforcement Discretion to Manufacturers to Increase Infant Formula Supplies
- FDA Investigation of Cronobacter Infections: Powdered Infant Formula (February 2022)
- Powdered Infant Formula Recall: What to Know
- CDC Information on Cronobacter Infection and Infants
- 6 Simple Ways to Soothe a Teething Baby(Family Features) There’s nothing cuter than those first toothy grins, but cutting teeth is a tough business. When a baby is teething, parents often spend long days and nights trying to soothe their little one’s discomfort. Teething affects babies differently; some may not be bothered at all, while others only have trouble with some teeth….
- Universal vaccine needed to prevent future COVID-19 waves, study suggestsA model of COVID-19 dynamics in South Africa reveals epidemiological characteristics of the main SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern and highlights their potential to cause further outbreaks Newswise — Their findings highlight the need for more proactive planning and preparedness for future variants of concern (VOCs), including the development of a universal vaccine that can block…
- American Society of Nephrology Strongly Supports Congressional Oversight of Transplant SystemNewswise — Washington, DC (August 3, 2022) — The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) supports efforts by Congress to improve the US transplant system. Today, the Senate Finance Committee will conduct an oversight hearing, A System in Need of Repair: Addressing Organizational Failures of the U.S.’s Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN). ASN welcomes the Senate Finance Committee’s…
- Dialysis Patient Citizens Applauds New Legislation Prohibiting Discrimination Against Dialysis PatientsWASHINGTON /PRNewswire/ — Dialysis Patient Citizens (DPC) today released the following statement applauding the introduction of H.R. 8594 by Representatives Yvette Clarke (D-NY-9), Buddy Carter (R-GA-1), Jodey Arrington, (R-TX-19), and Danny Davis (D-IL-7) to prohibit discrimination against dialysis patients in insurance coverage. “We thank Representatives Clarke, Carter, Arrington, and Davis for introducing this essential piece of legislation that will protect dialysis patients from…
- Mitch Gould of Nutritional Products International: Amazon Shows Consumer Spending Still StrongSecond Quarter Sales for Online Giant Increase 7 Percent — $121.23 Billion BOCA RATON, Fla. /PRNewswire/ — Amazon beat Wall Street estimates and high inflation to report a 7 percent increase in sales. “Even better, Amazon is forecasting double-digit sales growth for the third quarter,” said Mitch Gould, Founder and CEO of Nutritional Products International, a global brand…
Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator. He is also the editor, producer and administrator of STM Daily News, a part of the TNC Network.