Frommer’s, the most trusted name in travel guidebooks, is proud to reveal its eagerly anticipated list. Determined by a team of award-winning editors and writers around the globe, the 2019 Frommer’s honor roll celebrates destinations reaching major milestones, opening important new attractions, overcoming obstacles, or emerging as overlooked spots due for discovery.
The article, featuring rich photography and expert commentary, is available at www.frommers.com/bestplaces2019.
The 19 honorees for 2019 (in no particular order):
- Memphis, Tennessee: The birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll is throwing itself a 200th birthday party
- Collioure, France: A less snooty, less crowded alternative to the French Riviera
- Zimbabwe: A new degree of political stability provides access to Victoria Falls and one of the largest herds of elephants left in Africa
- Parintins, Brazil: Set on an island in the middle of the Amazon River and home to a raucous three-day folk celebration
- The Austral Islands of French Polynesia: New airlift makes this idyllic island chain finally affordable
- Nagasaki, Japan: A rejuvenated city with new UNESCO World Heritage Sites of formerly secret Christian churches
- The Mealy Mountains: A pristine wilderness area the size of Jamaica is part of Canada’s newest national park
- Bulgaria: Medieval architecture, Black Sea beaches, and in 2019 Plovdiv celebrates the arts as a European Capital of Culture
- Egypt: Coming back from years of political unrest
- Uluru, Australia: Sandstone landmark sacred to Aboriginal peoples debuts authentic new tours and an official ban on climbing
- Singapore: Celebrating bicentennial and stardom in Crazy Rich Asians
- Hollywood, California: Finally getting an important movie museum
- Normandy, France: Marking the 75th anniversary of World War II’s D-Day landings
- Virginia: An important anniversary and a yearlong cultural program examining the early colony’s impact on today’s America
- Portugal’s Estrada Nacional 2: Portugal’s answer to Route 66
- Washington State’s Olympic National Park: A perennially overlooked patch of moss-grown coastal wilderness
- Matera, Italy: An ancient city built of caves that will take center stage as a European Capital of Culture
- New York State: Opening new attractions and commemorating a slew of important milestones
- Space—no, travelers can’t launch into orbit just yet, but Florida’s Space Coast will look back on 50 years since the moon landing, and twin Star Wars lands will debut at Disney parks in Californiaand Orlando
Media opportunities: Frommer’s editors are available for interviews in New York City, in Los Angeles, and by phone.
About Frommer’s: Frommer’s has been in continuous publication since the 1957 debut of Arthur Frommer’s revolutionary book Europe on $5 a Day, which changed the way the world traveled. The Frommer’s collection of travel products has expanded to include over 100 award-winning guidebooks, a nationally syndicated radio show, mobile apps, and Frommers.com, which consistently ranks among the most popular sites in travel.
Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter: @Frommers
Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator. He is also the editor, producer and administrator of TNC Network.