Horse riding as a sport will provide a lot of excitement, exercise, and is a source of great fun. In the world of sporting events, there are a lot of different sports which involve using horses. Thus, it will not really matter if you are a serious rider or a thrill seeker because there is a horse-riding sport available for everyone. In this article, you will learn about the different horse-riding sports that you can consider.
Horse Sports are primarily divided into different categories likes western riding sport, Olympic discipline, endurance testing, pleasure rides, novelty riding, horse races, and rodeos.
- Western riding had its origin in America during the frontier days; the horses would be the sole method to herd and sort cattle. It is well known for the sport of cutting and reining. The quarterhorse is the main breed used in this sport.
- The Olympic disciplines will involve the arts of dressage and the display of jumping. These had their origins in military warfare to train the horse and the rider in getting more agility and adaptfor overcoming enemies in the battlefield.
- Endurance riding is also a race done over long distances in certain controlled conditions. The Arabs and the Arabian derivatives would be the most prominent breeds that are usedin this sport because of the stamina that they have. The sport of endurance racing got invented in the form of a military test for the cavalry mounts, in which the horses went on a 5-day300-mileride where they would carry about 100kgs in weight.
- Novelty riding involves mounted games withraces; these aremostpopular at the pony club levels. There are a lot of sports which involve the horse and the rider to race against the clock and get around the course. The most famous of the novelty riding sports is the barrel racing which can often be seenat rodeos.
- Rodeo riding will involve a group of sports that includes team roping, and bronco riding, then barrel racing and even breakaway roping. In the US and Australia, the rodeos will usually involve two days of a camp drafting competition also. Just as in western riding, the sport of camp drafting had originated in Australia around the 1880’s and 1890’s, it involves the cutting of a cow or a steer from the herd in the “camp,”and then going on to navigate the beast in the course. The stock horses are the best breed that is usedfor this sport.
You must visit TVG if you want to learn about horse racing in detail and some of the important factors that make horses perform better in races.
Horse racing is not only one of the oldest sports in the world but is also one of the most exciting and exhilarating experiences ever. Besides horse racing,there arealso other formsof equestrian sports which are equally exciting. Hopefully, the information mentioned in this article will have helped you.
Silvia Watson is a freelance content writer. She has written many good and informative articles on different categories such as technology, health, fashion, education, career, travel etc. She is a featured author at various authoritative blogs in the health and fitness industry and currently associated as a blogger with various websites.