CHICAGO, Jan. 31, 2018 — The color experts at Valspar, the nation’s most widely distributed paint brand, have announced their 2018 Colors of the Year timed with the start of the new year. Symbolic of hope and promise, a new year gives us the possibility of change—and change is always in.
Instead of a one-size-fits-all Color of the Year, Valspar offers 12 that can accommodate different lifestyles and preferences. Curated thoughtfully from Valspar’s endless color possibilities, they represent trending lifestyle influences from culture, fashion, design and technology. From colors that invoke healing and hygge, to those that spark passion and energy, Valspar’s 12 Colors of the Year give consumers the confidence to discover and express their own style.
“Each color tells a different story. For instance, the deep green has an intensity of color that’s invigorating and enchanting, while the lilac has a dusting of gray that brings calm and quiet,” says Sue Kim, Valspar Sr. Color Designer at Sherwin-Williams. “Valspar offers endless color possibilities to inspire DIY consumers to paint their walls more often. Changing wall colors is an easy way to stretch your decorating budget and bring design ideas to life.”
Tweet this: “.@Valspar_Paint offers 12 Colors of the Year options to inspire DIY consumers to welcome change into their homes and create a space they truly love.”
The 2018 Valspar Colors of the Year are available at Lowe’s, Ace Hardware and independent retailers nationwide. Please note, color names and shades vary slightly at each retailer. See below for the full list of colors and how they come to life in a variety of rooms with a variety of techniques.
- Soft Teal (Lowe’s: 5001-6B Sky Space /Ace: VR081C Grand Boulevard / Independent: V104-5 Night Masque)
- A return to analog. We seek experiences and things we can hold in our hand to feel connected and comforted.
- Garnet Red (Lowe’s: 1007-5A In the Red / Ace: VR063A Molten Sulphur / Independent: V080-6 Molten Sulphur)
- Melding of man and machine. There is a desire to make our machines more human with AI and voice control. As man becomes more automated, we strive to retain our humanity.
- Mink Gray (Lowe’s: 4001-2A Cadet Gray / Ace: VR091B Mink Suede / Independent: V127-5 Mink Suede)
- JOMO replacing FOMO. There is no fear, only the joy of missing out. Our home is a retreat as we accept our reliance on tech, but seek to re-connect with each other.
- Warm Buff (Lowe’s: 4004-1A Tempered Gray / Ace: VR095D Moon Shot / Independent: V123-1 Moon Shot)
- Hugs and hygge. Living well and everyday togetherness. Creating moments to savor.
- Dusty Lilac (Lowe’s: 1003-8A Glass Slippers / Ace: VR061C Twilight Bloom / Independent: V077-3 Twilight Bloom)
- Healing and peace. Looking for a sanctuary for inner peace, holistic healing and spirituality. We draw from a mix of eastern and western influences to find our balance.
- Icy Green (Lowe’s: 7004-7 Emerald Ice / Ace: 410Q Pool Tide / Independent: V141-2 Limestone Path)
- Mono-tasking. Moving away from the “always on” we need a singularity of focus on what’s most important, escaping a multi-tasking world.
- Golden Ochre (Lowe’s: 3009-3 Roman Ornament / Ace: VR041A New England Autumn / Independent: V054-5 New England Autumn)
- The real thing. Natural is preferred over synthetic. Food and fashion lead the way in eliminating artificial products and dyes.
- Charcoal Brown (Lowe’s: 3011-9 Porch Step / Ace: VR094A Black Hill Shadow / Independent: V130-6 Momentous Occasion)
- Dig in. A resurgence in gardening and the nurturing of nature. It feeds our need to grow and provide – and respect our planet.
- Poppy Red (Lowe’s: 2001-3A Deep Rose / Ace: VR035B Dressed to the Nines / Independent: V043-5 Dressed to the Nines)
- Quest for our best. We are all about self-optimization and looking for ways to monitor and improve on our progress.
- Deep Green (Lowe’s: 5011-4 Favorite Green / Ace: VR050A Breathe Deeply / Independent: V064-6 Breathe Deeply)
- Well-traveled. We are explorers, not tourists – and we travel with a purpose. We are looking for meaningful experiences at home and away.
- Deep Indigo (Lowe’s: 4009-7 Indigo Cloth / Ace: VR085A Midnight Sonata / Independent: V109-6 Midnight Sonata)
- New luxury is all about access. We want knowledge, experiences and culture. Belonging to something special.
- Berry Pink (Lowe’s: 1004-3B So Long Shadow / Ace: VR032B Berry Pretty / Independent: V040-5 Berry Pretty)
- Free to Be. The power that is achieved by being true to yourself. It is the strength of femininity that we are embracing.
For more information on Valspar 2018 Colors of the Year, please visit: www.AskVal.com/COTY
About Valspar and Sherwin-Williams
Valspar is a well-known, leading coatings brand that was established in 1806 and is now part of The Sherwin-Williams Company. Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is the global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams®, Valspar®, HGTV HOME® by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy®, Krylon®, Minwax®, Thompson’s® Water Seal®, Cabot® and many more. With global headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio, Sherwin-Williams® branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,100 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company’s other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The Sherwin-Williams Performance Coatings Group supplies a broad range of highly-engineered solutions for the construction, industrial, packaging and transportation markets in more than 115 countries around the world. The combined company (S-W & Valspar) generated pro forma 2016 revenues of $15.8 billion and employs approximately 60,000 associates worldwide. It has a prominent market position in architectural paint in North America, South America, China, Australia and the UK. In industrial coatings, the combined company is a global market leader in packaging coatings, coil coatings, general industrial coatings and industrial wood coatings. Sherwin-Williams shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: SHW). For more information, visit www.sherwin.com.