Local and Amtrak officials cut the ribbon on the $5.4 million investment
GREENWOOD, Miss. – Amtrak customers in this northern Mississippi city now have a smoother, brighter and more accessible journey with the famous Amtrak City of New Orleans train. A $5.4 million project is now complete and local leaders joined with Amtrak officials to cut the ribbon this week.
“We are making these kinds of investments across our network,” said Amtrak Vice President Dr. David Handera, who led a delegation of Amtrak officials to meet with Greenwood Mayor Carolyn McAdams. “These projects satisfy the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and all of our customers benefit from a station that is more welcoming.”
To date Amtrak has completed 168 ADA station related projects as part of the ADA Stations Program with 20 stations brought into ADA compliance last fiscal year for $85 million. Another 41 stations are targeted for completion this fiscal year at a forecasted investment of $125 million. Our program is advancing 120 station designs and 40 station construction projects as part of Amtrak’s ongoing commitment to providing accessibility for all of our customers.
In Greenwood, a new platform of concrete that correctly matches the train height, a renovated waiting room with restroom, drinking fountains and new bench seating are among the improvements. Also included are two ramped connections from the parking lot with two accessible parking spaces. These ramps assist all travelers with wheeled luggage or strollers, in addition to those passengers who use mobility devices.
Amtrak coordinated with the City of Greenwood in a redesign of the sidewalk along Carrollton Ave. to create a better pedestrian connection to the historic station.
For more information about Greenwood and its history, visit GreatAmericanStations.com.
- DFW Elite Toy Museum Featured on Fun on the Run TV SegmentDog lovers, toy lovers, and most of all, car lovers will be captivated by the many items on display at the DFW Elite Toy Museum DFW Elite Toy Museum … DFW Elite Toy Museum Featured on Fun on the Run TV Segment TNCRod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook.… Read more: DFW Elite Toy Museum Featured on Fun on the Run TV Segment
- Mattel Adventure Park Coming Soon to Glendale.Glendale, AZ – The Valley is hyped for a new, upcoming, first of its kind, themed amusement park which will be opening soon. From what we can see the… Mattel Adventure Park Coming Soon to Glendale. Railfan RodRod Washington Writer, filmmaker, model railroader, dreamer, posting videos and articles about trains. Also, posting railfanning videos and… Read more: Mattel Adventure Park Coming Soon to Glendale.
- District of Columbia Teams Up with Plenary Americas, ENGIE North America, and EQUANS for Nation’s Largest Urban Streetlight Modernization Project$309 Million Project will Modernize More Than 75,000 Streetlights, Reduce Energy Use by more than 50 Percent, Improve Equity of Service, and Extend Wi-Fi Coverage in Underserved Neighborhoods
- A Facelift for the Iconic Hollywood Sign?The iconic 45-foot lettering that sits just below the summit of Mount Lee, overlooking the Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, will get a sprucing up before the celebration of its centennial anniversary.
- Communities throughout central and northern Vancouver Island receive funding to revitalize public spaces and enhance tourism experiencesNANOOSE BAY, BC /CNW/ – Safe and inclusive public spaces and dynamic tourism attractions are key to vibrant communities. They bring together people of all ages and abilities, supporting businesses and boosting economic vitality. Throughout Vancouver Island, communities are ready to welcome back residents and visitors to enjoy new and improved public spaces and tourism experiences.… Read more: Communities throughout central and northern Vancouver Island receive funding to revitalize public spaces and enhance tourism experiences
Rod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator. He also produces news and documentary video projects. Check out his podcast StoriesThisMoment at https://m3e.d71.myftpupload.com/stm-tncn-podcasts/