NASA is requesting public comment on the scope of a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the agency’s proposed Mars Sample Return (MSR) campaign. Comments will be accepted through the mail and online through Monday, May 16, 2022.
The agency also is hosting two virtual public meetings about the proposed program at 3 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, May 4, 2022, and 8 p.m. on Thursday, May 5, 2022, at:
An audio-only feed of the public meetings will be available at 510-210-8882, meeting number 901-525-785. The online Webex feed of the meetings will include real-time automated closed captioning. Advance registration for the meetings is not required. The meeting website will be accessible to participants starting about 15 minutes before the event begins.
NASA and the European Space Agency are planning to use robotic Mars orbiter and lander missions launched in 2027 and 2028 to collect samples gathered by NASA’s Perseverance rover. The samples, securely isolated inside a robust Earth Entry System using a layered “container within a container” approach, could be brought to Earth in the early 2030s. The Earth Entry System would then be transported to a specialized MSR sample receiving facility.
The public meetings will include briefings about the status of the National Environmental Policy Act process for the proposed program, as well as its purpose and scientific goals. Meetings will also cover why the Utah Test and Training Range operated by the U.S. Air Force is the proposed landing site for the samples, and what planners are doing to ensure safe and secure return of the samples – a topic known as backward planetary protection.
NASA will consider all comments received during the scoping process in the subsequent development of the MSR Draft Environmental Impact Statement, which is currently scheduled to be released for public comment later this year.
- NASA Confirms Discovery of Challenger DebrisAccording to a NASA press release, NASA leaders recently viewed footage of an underwater dive off the East coast of Florida, and they confirm it depicts an artifact from the space shuttle Challenger. TNCRod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary … Read more
- SpaceX lit up the Sky last night with a Starlink Launch from VandenbergSpaceX launched its Falcon 9 rocket Thursday night from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California… The rocket launch produced a spectacular sight in … SpaceX lit up the Sky last night with a Starlink Launch from Vandenberg Rod WashingtonRod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the … Read more
- The Rising Use Of 3D Printing Is A Key Trend In The Satellites MarketThe Business Research Company’s satellites market research report expands on key drivers, trends, and growth opportunities in the market. LONDON, Sept. 27, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The increasing use of 3D printing is gaining popularity in the satellite industry trends. 3D printing or additive manufacturing, is the process of making a three-dimensional object from a CAD or 3D model. … Read more
- 2022 Advanced Air Mobility and Space ExpositionNEWPORT NEWS, Va. /PRNewswire/ — AUVSI Hampton Roads, working with the Commonwealth of Virginia, will host an Advanced Air Mobility and Space Exposition on September 27-29, 2022 in Hampton Roads Virginia. This hallmark occasion begins on the 27th at Fort Monroe, 100 Stillwell Road with robotic demonstrations (Unmanned Air and Ground) for Virginia’s first responders. The 28th and 29th will be … Read more
- NASA to Cover Crew Arrival to Launch Site, Flight Readiness Review (STM Daily News)The four members of the SpaceX Crew-5 mission pose for a portrait in their Crew Dragon flight suits at SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California. … NASA to Cover Crew Arrival to Launch Site, Flight Readiness Review STM Daily News! TNCRod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and … Read more
Rod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator. He also produces news and documentary video projects. Check out his podcast StoriesThisMoment at https://m3e.d71.myftpupload.com/stm-tncn-podcasts/