Survey Reveals A Third Of Americans Feel That Certain Snacks Pair Better With Different TV Shows
As fall’s most binge-worthy series return, 96% of Americans are likely to snack while watching TV
RICHFIELD, Ohio, Sept. 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Americans have a confession to make: they are obsessed with TV and snacking. In a recent survey, Eagle Foods1, makers of G.H. Cretors® Popped Corn, found that the average American clocks up 11 hours and 23 minutes of TV watching in a typical week, and a resounding 96% of people surveyed reported that they are likely to snack while tuning in.
As some of television’s hottest fall shows make their season premieres over the next few weeks, 86% of Americans said they are likely to be snacking during the season premiere of their favorite show. And it’s not just mindless snacking. One-third of people reported that certain snacks pair better with different television shows. Pairings that Americans favor include:
- Popcorn rated the top snack to pair with nail-biting fantasy shows like HBO’s “Game of Thrones” and “Westworld”
- Popcorn also wins the vote for fans of the quick-witted HBO political satire, “Veep”
- Ice cream pairs best with NBC’s emotionally rich series “This Is Us”
- Fans of reality TV series like ABC’s “The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette” and “Dancing with the Stars” most often reach for chips
- Chips are also the top choice for men catching up on binge-worthy Netflix series such as “Stranger Things” and “Orange Is the New Black”, but women watchers are reaching for popcorn.
- Chips are the choice for fans of Olivia Pope and ABC’s “Scandal”
“We’ll admit it – we’re just as obsessed with snacking as most other Americans are, and, of course, our favorite snack is popcorn,” said Corinne Kelly, Vice President of Marketing at Eagle Foods, with varieties ranging from salty to sweet and even the popular The Mix®, which is a blend of salty cheddar and sweet caramel kernels. “We lead very busy lives with minimal time to sit down and enjoy food. That’s why when we do have the time to enjoy our favorite television shows with our favorite snacks, it makes the experience all the more sweet — or salty!”
The snack pairings trends continue for those watching full length movies as well. When watching action and horror films, movie buffs are four times more likely to reach for a salty snack versus a sweet treat. Conversely, romantic comedy fans want it all, with the majority of those with a preference (38%) saying “I look for something that satisfies both sweet and salty.” For millennials watching rom coms, however, the preference is for strictly sweet.
Better When Shared
No matter what they are watching, Americans like to share their snacks when tuning in. The majority (65%) said that watching television is the most common time they snack and share with friends, beating out snacking in a movie theater (44%) and snacking at a sporting event (24%). Popcorn is lauded as the most shareable snack (31%), followed by chips (26%) and ice cream (17%). Popcorn was also voted the snack people are most likely to finish the whole bag of (36%) followed by potato chips (30%).
Millennial Popcorn Obsessions
Millennial snackers may be the most obsessed – or at least the most honest – when it comes to admitting how they like to eat their popcorn. Against all age demographics, millennials have the most unique and passionate ways to enjoy this snack:
- 30% admit to tipping up their bag of popcorn and pouring it into their mouth
- 64% say they lick their fingers after they are done snacking on popcorn
- 31% eat un-popped kernels and crumbs
- 65% say “I’ve eaten popcorn I picked off my clothes”
- 40% confess “I’ve eaten popcorn that I found on the couch/chair I was sitting in”
- 39% acknowledge “I’ve finished all my popcorn before a movie/show even started”
G.H. Cretors® Popped Corn is available in eleven bold flavors including The Mix®, a classic blend of rich, buttery caramel and cheddar cheese, Organic Dill Pickle, Organic Chile Jalapeño White Cheddar, Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn and more. Each bag is made with high-quality, real ingredients, like premium aged cheddar cheese, at the Eagle Foods facility just north of Chicago in Waukegan, Illinois.
To learn more about G.H. Cretors® and view the survey results, visit http://www.ghcretors.com/media/snacking-survey/.
About G.H. Cretors® Obsessively Delicious™ Popped Corn
G.H. Cretors® Popped Corn is crafted in Waukegan, Illinois, just north of Chicago. All G.H. Cretors® brand popcorn varieties are made with real, high-quality ingredients, using no artificial colors and no artificial flavors. The G.H. Cretors® brand uses Non-GMO popcorn and other Non-GMO ingredients whenever possible, and only organic ingredients in its Organics line. To learn more about G.H. Cretors® Popped Corn, visit www.ghcretors.com and join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Survey Methodology: OnePoll surveyed 1,000 general population adults who consume snacks. The research was conducted July 27 – August 11, 2017.
Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator.