In recognition of pride month and as part of Hyundai’s ongoing support for the LGBTQ community, the company is debuting an original branded content series that gives voice to some of the best up-and-coming LGBTQ talent. The OUT for Greatness presented by Hyundai film series will feature three episodes that bring together three burgeoning LGBTQ leaders with three up-and-coming filmmakers to create an experience of creative sharing, learning and mutual empowerment.
Hyundai has partnered with some of the biggest names in the LGBTQ film and media communities to provide a platform for this vibrant and growing group of artists, tastemakers and underrepresented talent across the country. A few of the featured talents for this series include:
- Actor and Performer, J. “Shangela” Pierce, best recognized as the only contestant to compete on three separate seasons of the Emmy-award winning reality series RuPaul’s Drag Race as well as appearing in the 2018 critically acclaimed film “A Star is Born”; with Kevin Yee, a filmmaker and comedian whose award winning short film ‘ABOUT A SHORT FILM’ recently opened the Outfest Fusion Gala and will be featured at the Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival in July.
- Jane Chika Oranika is a female rapper, best known for her fiery viral freestyles (including an infamous verse over Kanye West’s Jesus Walks) and was recently featured in a body positive Calvin Klein ad which garnered international attention; with Michelle Badillo, a queer, Latinx TV writer and actress from Queens whose short film, Ladies Room, premiered at Outfest Los Angeles in 2015.
- Reggie Bullock, a professional basketball player, currently finishing his sixth season in the NBA, whose professional life became entwined with social justice activism after his older sister, Mia Henderson, a transgender woman, was killed in July 2014; with Alexandra Grey, an actress and musician best known for her role as Denise Lockwood on NBC ‘Chicago Med.’ She was recently featured on the cover of Gay Times Magazine and listed in Variety as one of the Top 10 Transgender Actors to watch in 2019. Alexandra is an alumni of Outset: The Young Filmmakers Project from Los Angeles LGBT Center and Outfest.
The first episode featuring Shangela and Kevin Yee is available on Hyundai’s YouTube channel with the other two rolling out over the next several weeks. The films will also be shown at Outfest Los Angeles in July and Newfest in October, events Hyundai also sponsors.
“Hyundai is proud to partner with some of the biggest names and best talent in the LGBTQ community to develop this innovative content series,” said Dean Evans, CMO, Hyundai Motor America. “Hyundai is a company that places a high value on diversity and we stand together with the community to drive inclusivity and acceptance for all.”
Additionally, Hyundai has received a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index for the third consecutive year. Below are some of the events and activations Hyundai is executing to support the LGBTQ community this year:
- March: GLAAD Awards LA sponsorship, Outfest Fusion sponsorship
- May: GLAAD Awards NYC sponsorship
- June: Hyundai Instagram posts supporting Pride month
- July: Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival sponsorship
- August: Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles GMCLA 40/STONEWALL 50 gala presenting sponsorship
- October: Hyundai Spirit Day in support for national coming out day and anti-bullying; Newfest sponsorship
- Year round opportunities through Drive: Equality, an internal company employee resource group initiative that promotes a positive and inclusive work environment for all LGBTQ Hyundai employees
Hyundai Motor America
Hyundai Motor America is focused on delivering an outstanding customer experience grounded in design leadership, engineering excellence and exceptional value in every vehicle we sell. Hyundai’s technology-rich product lineup of cars, SUVs and alternative-powered electric and fuel cell vehicles is backed by Hyundai Assurance—our promise to deliver peace of mind to our customers. Hyundai vehicles are sold and serviced through more than 830 dealerships nationwide and the majority sold in the U.S. are built at U.S. manufacturing facilities, including Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama. Hyundai Motor America is headquartered in Fountain Valley, California, and is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company of Korea.
Please visit our media website at www.HyundaiNews.com
Rebecca Jo is a mother of four and is a creative soul from Phoenix, Arizona, who also enjoys new adventures. Rebecca Jo has a passion for the outdoors and indulges in activities like camping, fishing, hunting and riding rollercoasters.