Today is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day!
Each year, May 14th ushers in National Buttermilk Biscuit Day to celebrate this high-rising breakfast staple… Not to be confused with the hard baked goods that are also called biscuits in England.
In the United States and Canada, a biscuit is a small piece of bread, which after baking usually has a somewhat firm, dry exterior and a soft, crumbly interior…
They are usually made with baking powder or baking soda as a chemical leavening agent rather than yeast, and may be called baking powder biscuits to differentiate them from other types…
Like other forms of bread, they are often served with butter or other condiments, flavored with other ingredients, or combined with other types of food to make sandwiches or other dishes…
Biscuits, soda breads, cornbread, and similar breads are all considered quick breads, to indicate that they do not need time for the dough to rise before baking.
Here’s a few ideas to observe National Biscuit Day:
- Make biscuit breakfast sandwiches with eggs and cheese.
- Serve biscuits with your favorite soup. It’s better than dumplings!
- Use biscuit dough to make pizza crust. Partially bake the dough before adding toppings.
- Warm biscuits with butter and jelly satisfy every time.
- Serve biscuits with pork chops, pork loins, or pulled pork.
- BBQ and biscuits hit the spot, too. They soak up the juices quite well.
- Whenever you have fresh fish, serve homemade biscuits. Catfish and biscuits are particularly delicious.
- Don’t forget dessert. Biscuits make an excellent base for strawberry shortcakes. Just add a little sugar to your dough to sweeten it. You’ll make up the rest of the sweetness with the strawberries and whipped cream.
Check out these links for further information:
Biscuits and Gravy: By Dan4th Nicholas – originally posted to Flickr as 080921 B-Side biscuits, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5320749
Breakfast Sandwich w/egg bacon jam and microgreens: By Ilikefood – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=83444637
Cheese flavored drop biscuits: By Infrogmation of New Orleans – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=86840750
Biscuits at Loveless Cafe in Nashville, Tennessee: By Dale Cruse – https://www.flickr.com/photos/dalecruse/47639772112/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=89434168
Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. Rod produces and directs the web series, CUPIC: Diary of an Investigator. He is also the editor, producer and administrator of TNC Network.