(Family Features) Power up for summer adventures by shaking up your snacking routine with homemade recipes inspired by childhood favorites.
Tasty and versatile, California walnuts are easy to swap into your favorite snack recipes and work hard to keep you energized and full. Kick off summer with some irresistible plant-forward Walnut Chorizo Pizza Bites and Strawberry Walnut Hand Pies for delicious summer snacks loaded with the nutrition benefits of walnuts.
Visit walnuts.org/snacking for more snack recipes.
Strawberry Walnut Hand Pies
- 1/4 cup California walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4-5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
Strawberry Walnut Filling:
- 1 cup strawberries, tops removed, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon beetroot powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped California walnuts
- To make dough: In food processor, pulse walnuts until fine and evenly ground. Add flour, sugar and salt to ground walnuts; pulse to combine. Add cubed butter; pulse until butter is in small pieces. Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing while adding, until dough starts sticking together.
- Transfer dough to clean surface; shape into two 4-inch discs. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make filling: In food processor, pulse strawberries and lemon juice until slightly chunky.
- Transfer to saucepan and gradually whisk in cornstarch until dissolved. Stir in sugar.
- Heat over low heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Turn heat off and stir in chopped walnuts. Transfer mixture to small bowl; refrigerate.
- To assemble hand pies: Remove one dough disc from refrigerator. Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough into large rectangle. Slice dough into six 4-by-2-inch rectangles. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- In bowl, mix water and egg. Brush perimeter of dough rectangles with egg wash. Place 1 tablespoon filling on center of dough.
- Roll out second dough disc, creating six rectangles of dough. Place on top of jam and crimp edges with fork to seal. Freeze hand pies 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Trim uneven edges of dough with sharp knife and brush tops and sides with egg wash.
- Bake 20-24 minutes until golden brown around edges. Cool at room temperature 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- To make frosting: In bowl, whisk sugar, milk and beetroot powder until thick but smooth. Drizzle frosting over hand pies and top with chopped walnuts. Cool 15 minutes, or until frosting is set.
Walnut Chorizo Pizza Bites
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts
- 1 cup pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 5 mini bagels
- 1 large zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch (10 slices)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup walnut chorizo
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- To make walnut chorizo: In food processor, pulse walnuts until finely crumbled. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- In food processor, pulse pinto beans, lime juice, paprika, oregano, cumin, chipotle powder, salt and garlic powder until mixture resembles ground meat. Stir bean mixture with walnut pieces.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add walnut chorizo and cook 5-7 minutes until lightly browned, using spatula to break into crumbles.
- To make pizza bites: In pan over medium heat, heat olive oil and add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes until onion is soft and golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Halve bagels and place on baking sheet. Place zucchini slices on second baking sheet.
- Top each bagel and zucchini slice with 1 tablespoon marinara; spread with back of spoon. Add 1 tablespoon walnut chorizo crumbles to each bagel and zucchini slice. Sprinkle with caramelized onion and goat cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Top with basil.
California Walnut Board
- Get Your Grill On Tips for great grilling from Basquettes, the hottest new grill toolATLANTA /PRNewswire/ — Grilling is so fun and delicious – clearly a high point of any summer. Follow these easy tips for even tastier meals. Start with a clean grill. Starting with a clean grill will allow the flavor of whatever you’re cooking to shine through and not mix with flavors left behind from whatever you grilled last….
- Savory Solutions for Slider Sunday(Family Features) Enjoying a meal as a family might seem farfetched with schedules full of work, activities and social commitments. However, you can make bringing everyone together a bit easier (and more delicious) with a weekly tradition like Slider Sunday that gets the whole crew excited about time around the kitchen table. No matter what…
- Honey garlic chicken ! Dinner ready in 15 minutesDelicious and easy recipes Honey garlic chicken ! Dinner ready in 15 minutes Recipe and ingredients: 0:00 – Intro 0:01 – 2 chicken breasts 0:48 – Salt 0:58 – Black pepper 1:26 – All purpose flour 1:52 – 40g butter 2:15 – 3 cloves garlic 3:12 – Spring onion 3:46 – 20g butter 4:21 –…
- ESCOFFIER DESIGNATED A GREAT PLACE TO WORK-CERTIFIED™ COMPANY FOR THE THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEARLargest Accredited Culinary Educator in the U. S. Earns High Marks for Collaborative Culture CHICAGO /PRNewswire/ — Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts, the largest accredited provider of online and campus-based culinary training and education in the U.S., today announced it was certified as a great workplace by independent analysts at the Great Place to Work® research firm, for the third…
- Celebrate Parents with a Sweet, Fruity Snack(Family Features) Gifts and cards are surely appreciated, but one of the best gifts for many parents is simply time spent together. No special occasion is necessary – just loving moments enjoyed as a family. You can make those moments memorable with a tasty snack like Apple and Blood Orange Pinwheels made with the satisfying…