Riders can go to a streetcar stop on Friday, May 20 and catch one of those bright green and silver streetcars. Service opens to the public and will be free for the first year.
Streetcar travels on Mill and Ash avenues from Rio Salado Parkway and Marina Heights to Dorsey Lane and Apache Boulevard and differs from light rail in that it shares the roadway with vehicle traffic. Vehicles are also smaller, with a capacity of 125 people, and travel as a single car. Streetcars will arrive at stops every 15-20 minutes. Learn how to ride here: valleymetro.org/streetcar. Other basics about streetcar include:
- 2 connections to light rail
- 3 mile route
- 14 sheltered stops with unique public art & landscaping
- ADA and bike accessible
Another touted feature of streetcar is its off-wire capability on Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe. The hybrid battery-powered off-wire feature–the first in the Valley Metro fleet–helps preserve the natural canopy of trees that have long been identified with the area.
Construction of the Tempe Streetcar project began in 2018. It will serve the Tempe ASU campus, downtown Tempe, Gammage Auditorium, Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe Beach Park and connect to many small businesses and neighborhoods.
Streetcar is a regional, public transportation service built with federal grants, regional funding from Proposition 400, and local public-private partnerships. Operations is entirely funded by the city of Tempe. Expansion of streetcar may include future stops at Tempe Marketplace, Sloan Park, Riverview Park, Mesa Asian District and Mesa Community College.
- DFW Elite Toy Museum Featured on Fun on the Run TV SegmentDog lovers, toy lovers, and most of all, car lovers will be captivated by the many items on display at the DFW Elite Toy Museum DFW Elite Toy Museum … DFW Elite Toy Museum Featured on Fun on the Run TV Segment TNCRod Washington: Rod is a blogger, writer, filmmaker, photographer, daydreamer who likes to cook. … Read more
- Mattel Adventure Park Coming Soon to Glendale.Glendale, AZ – The Valley is hyped for a new, upcoming, first of its kind, themed amusement park which will be opening soon. From what we can see the… Mattel Adventure Park Coming Soon to Glendale. Railfan RodRod Washington Writer, filmmaker, model railroader, dreamer, posting videos and articles about trains. Also, posting railfanning videos and … Read more
- A Facelift for the Iconic Hollywood Sign?The iconic 45-foot lettering that sits just below the summit of Mount Lee, overlooking the Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, will get a sprucing up before the celebration of its centennial anniversary.
- METROLINK RECEIVES $25 MILLION CALSTA GRANT FOR 91/PERRIS VALLEY LINEGrant funds will expand 91/Perris Valley Line capacity and improve service LOS ANGELES – The California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA) has awarded Metrolink more than $25 million to complete the final design and construction of three capacity improvements as part of the Metrolink Perris Valley Line Capacity Improvement Project. “We are incredibly thankful to CalSTA for … Read more
- Streetcar is now open in TempeAll aboard the Valley’s first modern streetcar! Passenger service on Valley Metro Streetcar began in Tempe at 10 a.m. today after a ribbon-cutting ceremony featuring local leaders and elected officials. The three-mile streetcar route will take riders to major employment centers, entertainment and event destinations, historic neighborhoods and connect to the regional transit network. “We … Read more
Rod Washington Writer, filmmaker, model railroader, dreamer, posting videos and articles about trains. Also, posting railfanning videos and updates about his own model railroad layout via his webpage, the rail project (coming soon).